Friday, February 15, 2013

The Stutter


As I was walking to class, this short and perky brunette ran up to me and taped me on the shoulder.

"Hey there! I'm Becca… Are you new?"

"Y-y-y-ye-yesss-yes," the second I spoke, she looked at me as if I had a disease. "My n-na-nam-name i-is B-b-brr-bra-brad-d."

"Oh, um, nice to meet you…" she said as she started to walk away, obviously not wanted to be seen with me.

Whatever. Someone at this school won't mind my speech. Someone at this school will be my friend. Someone at this school will understand me.

I walked into homeroom.

Becca stares at me, along with other eyes sending looks of pity. And then someone shouts.

"Look Becca! It's your retarded boyfriend!"

Laughs soon followed. I sit down at my desk, my face obviously red from embarassment, and pull out my notebook and a pencil. I begin to write.

They listen
But they do not
Understand
They do not understand
The h*** I've already
Lived through
Breathed through
And spoke through
They listen
But
They do not
Understand

I know I'm no Robert Frost but when I write, I feel free. Whoever reads my words, won't focus on my literal voice. They focus, on what is true. They focus on what is important. And they forget for a moment that I stutter. They forget for a moment that I am different. Different and a stutter, not mentally challenged.

When I write, I am understood.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds exactly like the guy from American Idol, and I like how deep it is. You get a preview into the feelings of the bullies, the nice girl, and the one of him, the disabled. I really enjoy the feelings you get from this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the piece a lot because you got to see the point of view of someone who feels bullied. The only thing was that it was kind of confusing in the fact that was Becca his girlfriend or not?

    ReplyDelete